When you think of coming down to the South West this May bank holiday you’ll probably all be rushing to Cornwall and I don’t blame you. Not only does it have stunning scenery but is has some beautiful features such as the Eden Project and it has hosted wonderful BBC productions like the recent Poldark craze. Our local retailers even sell our little yellow map of the Cornish film locations for Poldark fans who want to explore on foot.
But when you pass through Devon consider cutting your drive short. Live dangerously and try something new, I can promise you won’t regret it. Try Visit Dartmoor for an excellent bargain on last minute accommodation OR pitch your tent because Dartmoor National Park is the only place in England you can go wild camping!
So, finally, the five reasons you should visit Dartmoor this bank holiday:
- The Cream Tea Challenge: Cream Tea crazy Sam Anderson devised a challenge to get people flocking to Dartmoor’s door. Why not set up a Ten Tors challenge but for Creams Teas instead? 68 miles, 16 stops. Cream teas to be devoured at every break. Find out more from this Western Morning News article.
- Bellever Forest (Princetown): Walking through this forest is possibly the most serene I’ve ever felt. It can be quite touristy in the heart of the Summer so that’s something to watch out for. Historical areas of interest in the area are Dartmoor Prison Museum. Full of fascinating artefacts and grisly prison stories. For opening times, see here.
- Radio 1 Big Weekend (Powderham Castle): The BBC are bringing over 30 artists into Exeter. South West fans of Coldplay, Meghan Trainor, Ellie Goulding and more will be excited to know that there stars will be in the vicinity this weekend. So if you’re lucky enough to have a ticket get on down to the beautiful Powderham castle. See the full line up here.
- Open Air Swimming Pool (Chagford): A lovely outdoor swimming pool that is a must visit if you’re holidaying on Dartmoor in the Summer months. The pool is fed by the local river and heated to a reasonable temperature by solar but even still I recommend jumping right in! It opens on Saturday 28th May. For more info on the pool, visit the website.
- Dartmoor Hawking (Bovey Castle): Have you dreamt of the ultimate falconry experience? Fly a bird from horseback or even have a bird drop a ring in the lap of your future partner? It’s all possible with Dartmoor Hawking…
So which one of these activities can tempt you to visit Dartmoor National Park this May bank holiday? Whether you will be staying in a hamlet, isolated from civilisation, or a bustling market town, Devonians are a helpful lot and if you ask for help they are bound to point you in the right direction.
Come for a weekend and visit this amazing place! And don’t forget to buy our bargain Ordnance Survey Dartmoor box set from our local retailers: seven maps covering the entirety of Dartmoor, scale ruler and legend included – just £19.99.